Adult and Pediatric Neurologist, Neurologist, Pediatric Neurologist, Physician
What they do:Diagnose, manage, and treat disorders and diseases of the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves, with a primarily nonsurgical focus.
On the job, you would:
- Interview patients to obtain information, such as complaints, symptoms, medical histories, and family histories.
- Examine patients to obtain information about functional status of areas, such as vision, physical strength, coordination, reflexes, sensations, language skills, cognitive abilities, and mental status.
- Perform or interpret the outcomes of procedures or diagnostic tests, such as lumbar punctures, electroencephalography, electromyography, and nerve conduction velocity tests.
- medicine and dentistry
- therapy and counseling
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- see hidden patterns
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
- eClinicalWorks EHR software
- Epic Systems
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Excel
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
post-doctoral training or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Emergency Medicine Physicians
- General Internal Medicine Physicians
- Orthopedic Surgeons
- Pediatric Surgeons
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about neurologists.