Nuclear Medicine Technologists
Certified Nuclear Medicine Technologist (CNMT), Nuclear Cardiology Technologist, Nuclear Medicine Technologist (NMT), Staff Nuclear Medicine Technologist
What they do:Prepare, administer, and measure radioactive isotopes in therapeutic, diagnostic, and tracer studies using a variety of radioisotope equipment. Prepare stock solutions of radioactive materials and calculate doses to be administered by radiologists. Subject patients to radiation. Execute blood volume, red cell survival, and fat absorption studies following standard laboratory techniques.
On the job, you would:
- Administer radiopharmaceuticals or radiation intravenously to detect or treat diseases, using radioisotope equipment, under direction of a physician.
- Detect and map radiopharmaceuticals in patients' bodies, using a camera to produce photographic or computer images.
- Process cardiac function studies, using computer.
- customer service
- administrative services
Math and Science
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- medicine and dentistry
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- understanding people's reactions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- MEDITECH software
- Medovation RadRunner
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
associate's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Cardiovascular Technologists & Technicians
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologists
- Radiation Therapists
- Radiologic Technologists & Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about nuclear medicine technologists.