Real Estate Sales Agents
Also called: Associate Broker, Real Estate Agent, Real Estate Broker, Realtor
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Whether they represent the people who want to buy property or those who have property to sell, real estate brokers and sales agents help clients find the property they’re looking for, and complete successful transactions. Most agents and brokers work with either homes or business properties. They show properties to customers, travel to see properties for sale, and meet with potential clients. They also present purchase offers, and manage negotiations between buyers and sellers. Agents and brokers invest a lot of time looking for clients, and for property to sell. Real estate sales agents must work for brokers, who are licensed and own their own businesses. Agents earn a commission from the sales they make. Many brokers operate a real estate office, handling business details and overseeing the work of sales agents. Many real estate sales agents and brokers work over 40 hours per week including evenings and weekends. Some work part time and set their own hours, combining real estate activities with other careers. Licensure is required for all brokers and agents, along with state-accredited coursework. In most states, a broker’s license requires from one to three years’ experience as a licensed real estate sales agent. Some employers prefer candidates who have a college degree with courses in real estate, business, finance, law and economics.
What they do:Rent, buy, or sell property for clients. Perform duties, such as study property listings, interview prospective clients, accompany clients to property site, discuss conditions of sale, and draw up real estate contracts. Includes agents who represent buyer.
On the job, you would:
- Present purchase offers to sellers for consideration.
- Act as an intermediary in negotiations between buyers and sellers, generally representing one or the other.
- Compare a property with similar properties that have recently sold to determine its competitive market price.
- sales and marketing
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- law and government
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- bringing people together to solve differences
- talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Expert system software
- CMA Stuffers
- ProForce Ultimate Brochures
Financial analysis software
- RealData Comparative Lease Analysis
- SRC Cash Flow Analyzer Pro
Customer relationship management CRM software