Bill & Account Collectors
Collector, Credit Clerk, Debt Collector, Patient Account Representative
What they do:Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account, preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond, initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection, and keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
On the job, you would:
- Record information about financial status of customers and status of collection efforts.
- Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visits to solicit payment.
- Locate and monitor overdue accounts, using computers and a variety of automated systems.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
- accounting and economics
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- law and government
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- group things in different ways
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Customer relationship management CRM software
- Austin Logistics CallSelect
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Data base user interface and query software
- Relational database software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Billing & Posting Clerks
- Credit Authorizers, Checkers, & Clerks
- Customer Service Representatives
- Tax Examiners & Collectors, & Revenue Agents
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about bill and account collectors.