Production, Planning, & Expediting Clerks
Expeditor, Materials Planner, Production Planner, Production Scheduler
What they do:Coordinate and expedite the flow of work and materials within or between departments of an establishment according to production schedule. Duties include reviewing and distributing production, work, and shipment schedules; conferring with department supervisors to determine progress of work and completion dates; and compiling reports on progress of work, inventory levels, costs, and production problems.
On the job, you would:
- Distribute production schedules or work orders to departments.
- Revise production schedules when required due to design changes, labor or material shortages, backlogs, or other interruptions, collaborating with management, marketing, sales, production, or engineering.
- Review documents, such as production schedules, work orders, or staffing tables, to determine personnel or materials requirements or material priorities.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- customer service
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- SAP software
Data base user interface and query software
- Oracle Database
Materials requirements planning logistics and supply chain software
- Bill of lading software
- Waterloo Hydrogeologic TACTIC
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, & Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Production & Operating Workers
- Project Management Specialists
- Shipping, Receiving, & Inventory Clerks
- Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, & Samplers, Recordkeeping
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about production, planning, and expediting clerks.