Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, & Aquacultural Animals
Cowboy, Herdsman, Livestock Handler, Ranch Hand
What they do:Attend to live farm, ranch, open range or aquacultural animals that may include cattle, sheep, swine, goats, horses and other equines, poultry, rabbits, finfish, shellfish, and bees. Attend to animals produced for animal products, such as meat, fur, skins, feathers, eggs, milk, and honey. Duties may include feeding, watering, herding, grazing, milking, castrating, branding, de-beaking, weighing, catching, and loading animals. May maintain records on animals; examine animals to detect diseases and injuries; assist in birth deliveries; and administer medications, vaccinations, or insecticides as appropriate. May clean and maintain animal housing areas. Includes workers who shear wool from sheep and collect eggs in hatcheries.
On the job, you would:
- Feed and water livestock and monitor food and water supplies.
- Herd livestock to pastures for grazing or to scales, trucks, or other enclosures.
- Examine animals to detect illness, injury, or disease, and to check physical characteristics, such as rate of weight gain.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- food production
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
Data base user interface and query software
- BCL Landview Systems WinCrop
- Farm Works Software Trac
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
some college or
high school diploma/GED
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Agricultural Equipment Operators
- Animal Breeders
- Farmworkers & Laborers, Crop, Nursery, & Greenhouse
- Meat, Poultry, & Fish Cutters & Trimmers
- Slaughterers & Meat Packers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about farmworkers, farm, ranch, and aquacultural animals.