First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades & Extraction Workers
Also called: Construction Foreman, Construction Superintendent, Construction Supervisor, Site Superintendent
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Building above the ground is called construction. Taking materials from beneath the surface is called extraction. Both of these processes require a lot of coordination – someone to make sure that the right job is done, at the exact time it’s needed, as safely as possible. First Line Supervisors and Managers of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers are like orchestra conductors. Queuing each person to play his or her part. They tell equipment operators when to arrive and what their responsibilities will be… …and make sure there are enough workers at the site to get a job done on schedule. In addition to scheduling, training and motivating workers, supervisors keep records to document important information. They also have to be able to manage money to keep projects on budget. Good organizational and communication skills are a necessity. In addition to a high school diploma they might also have training in business methods such as accounting. Many supervisors work alongside the people they manage. In fact, they’re often promoted from the workforce after years of experience. Whether they work underground, or high above it, First Line Supervisors and Managers of Construction Trades and Extraction workers do important work for a nation on the move.
What they do:Directly supervise and coordinate activities of construction or extraction workers.
On the job, you would:
- Supervise, coordinate, or schedule the activities of construction or extractive workers.
- Read specifications, such as blueprints, to determine construction requirements or to plan procedures.
- Inspect work progress, equipment, or construction sites to verify safety or to ensure that specifications are met.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- customer service
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- understanding people's reactions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Project management software
Data base user interface and query software
Calendar and scheduling software
- FranklinCovey TabletPlanner
- Scheduling software
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, & Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, & Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production & Operating Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation & Material-Moving Machine & Vehicle Operators
- Nursery & Greenhouse Managers
You might like a career in one of these industries: