Construction & Building Inspectors
Building Inspector, Building Official, Construction Inspector, Plumbing Inspector
What they do:Inspect structures using engineering skills to determine structural soundness and compliance with specifications, building codes, and other regulations. Inspections may be general in nature or may be limited to a specific area, such as electrical systems or plumbing.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor installation of plumbing, wiring, equipment, or appliances to ensure that installation is performed properly and is in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Approve building plans that meet required specifications.
- Inspect and monitor construction sites to ensure adherence to safety standards, building codes, or specifications.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- product and service development
- customer service
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- see hidden patterns
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
- Inspection Depot Home Guide System
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
high school diploma/GED
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Aviation Inspectors
- Civil Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades & Extraction Workers
- Government Property Inspectors & Investigators
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment & Systems Inspectors
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about construction and building inspectors.