Also called: Fence Builder, Fence Erector, Fence Installer, Fence Laborer
What they do:Erect and repair fences and fence gates, using hand and power tools.
On the job, you would:
- Establish the location for a fence, and gather information needed to ensure that there are no electric cables or water lines in the area.
- Align posts, using lines or by sighting, and verify vertical alignment of posts, using plumb bobs or spirit levels.
- Measure and lay out fence lines and mark posthole positions, following instructions, drawings, or specifications.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- customer service
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your lower back and stomach
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Project management software
- Maxwell Systems American Contractor
- Software Design Associates Computer Fencing System CFS
- Fishers & Related Fishing Workers
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, & Stucco Masons
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Industrial Truck & Tractor Operators
- Rail-Track Laying & Maintenance Equipment Operators
You might like a career in one of these industries: