Highway Maintenance Workers
Equipment Operator (EO), Highway Maintainer, Highway Maintenance Technician, Highway Maintenance Worker
What they do:
Maintain highways, municipal and rural roads, airport runways, and rights-of-way. Duties include patching broken or eroded pavement, repairing guard rails, highway markers, and snow fences. May also mow or clear brush from along road or plow snow from roadway.
On the job, you would:
- Flag motorists to warn them of obstacles or repair work ahead.
- Set out signs and cones around work areas to divert traffic.
- Perform preventative maintenance on vehicles and heavy equipment.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
- imagine how something will look after it is moved around or changed
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
Electronic mail software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Crushing, Grinding, & Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Derrick Operators, Oil & Gas
- Pile-Driver Operators
- Tree Trimmers & Pruners
You might like a career in one of these industries: