Highway Maintenance Workers
Equipment Operator (EO), Highway Maintainer, Highway Maintenance Worker, Transportation Maintenance Specialist (TMS)
What they do:Maintain highways, municipal and rural roads, airport runways, and rights-of-way. Duties include patching broken or eroded pavement and repairing guard rails, highway markers, and snow fences. May also mow or clear brush from along road, or plow snow from roadway.
On the job, you would:
- Set out signs and cones around work areas to divert traffic.
- Flag motorists to warn them of obstacles or repair work ahead.
- Perform preventative maintenance on vehicles and heavy equipment.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Word processing software
- Microsoft Word
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Operating Engineers & Other Construction Equipment Operators
- Paving, Surfacing, & Tamping Equipment Operators
- Pile Driver Operators
- Rail-Track Laying & Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Septic Tank Servicers & Sewer Pipe Cleaners
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about highway maintenance workers.