Derrick Operators, Oil & Gas
Derrick Hand, Derrick Man, Derrick Operator, Floor Hand
What they do:
Rig derrick equipment and operate pumps to circulate mud through drill hole.
On the job, you would:
- Inspect derricks, or order their inspection, prior to being raised or lowered.
- Inspect derricks for flaws, and clean and oil derricks to maintain proper working conditions.
- Control the viscosity and weight of the drilling fluid.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
Hearing and Speech
- pay attention to one sound while there are other distracting sounds
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Word processing software
no high school diploma/GED or
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
You might like a career in one of these industries: