Rotary Drill Operators, Oil & Gas
Also called: Daylight Driller, Drill Foreman, Driller, Tool Pusher
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Oil drill operations rely on the use of derricks for their production. An oil derrick is used to dig a hole for an oil well, then to push the drill pipe deep into the earth. A mud mixture is sprayed from the drill bit to push material from the cuttings up out of the hole and cool the drill equipment, as well as to keep the bore hole stable. Then a well pipe replaces the drill pipe, so oil can be pumped out, using valves to allow the oil to move up the bore hole without sliding back down. Many workers at oil and gas drilling sites share duties to keep wells operating efficiently and safely. Derrick operators and rotary drill operators keep the mud, made of water, clay, air, and chemicals, flowing, so drills run smoothly. These workers listen to drills to ensure the vibrations are normal and may collect samples of material from the hole to monitor output. Derrick and drill operators place derricks in the correct location and keep them running around the clock, monitoring gauges, repairing equipment, and checking for problems. Drill operators also train drill crews on procedures and safety measures. Wellhead pumpers operate pumps that force oil and gas out of wells and into storage tanks and pipelines. They also monitor other production equipment and ensure that materials are being pumped at the correct pressure, density and concentration. Service unit operators work in oil and gas drilling, as well as mining operations, to troubleshoot drilling issues and resolve them. They use equipment to increase oil flow from producing wells, or to remove stuck pipes, tools, or other obstructions from drilling wells and mining exploration operations. These workers are employed by the oil and gas industry at construction sites and drilling rigs. They may work on offshore oil platforms drilling the ocean floor, or in remote locations in the far north or Middle East, which may require living onsite for long periods. Work may be seasonal, and shifts are often around the clock. Extreme weather conditions and dealing with heights is also part of the job. Machinery is noisy, and safety rules are critical. Wellhead pumpers typically need a high school diploma, while derrick operators, rotary drill operators, and service unit operators typically have no specific education requirements.
What they do:Set up or operate a variety of drills to remove underground oil and gas, or remove core samples for testing during oil and gas exploration.
On the job, you would:
- Train crews, and introduce procedures to make drill work more safe and effective.
- Observe pressure gauge and move throttles and levers to control the speed of rotary tables, and to regulate pressure of tools at bottoms of boreholes.
- Count sections of drill rod to determine depths of boreholes.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- human resources (HR)
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Drillingsoftware Tubular Database
- Pason WellView Field Solution
Industrial control software
- CAPSHER Technology SureTec
- Drillingsoftware DrillPro