Also called: Coal Miner, Driller Helper, Driller's Assistant, Powderman
What they do:Help extraction craft workers, such as earth drillers, blasters and explosives workers, derrick operators, and mining machine operators, by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include supplying equipment or cleaning work area.
On the job, you would:
- Observe and monitor equipment operation during the extraction process to detect any problems.
- Drive moving equipment to transport materials and parts to excavation sites.
- Unload materials, devices, and machine parts, using hand tools.
Engineering and Technology
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
- imagine how something will look after it is moved around or changed
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Office suite software
Data base user interface and query software
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Industrial Truck & Tractor Operators
- Rail Car Repairers
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
You might like a career in one of these industries: