Bus & Truck Mechanics & Diesel Engine Specialists
Also called: Bus Mechanic, Diesel Mechanic, Diesel Technician, Mechanic
What they do:Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul buses and trucks, or maintain and repair any type of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile or marine diesel engines.
On the job, you would:
- Inspect brake systems, steering mechanisms, wheel bearings, and other important parts to ensure that they are in proper operating condition.
- Use handtools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision instruments, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, lathes, welding equipment, and jacks and hoists.
- Adjust and reline brakes, align wheels, tighten bolts and screws, and reassemble equipment.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- customer service
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Hearing and Speech
- tell the difference between sounds
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Facilities management software
- Computerized maintenance management system software CMMS
- Shop management software
Analytical or scientific software
- Cummins Insite
- Engine diagnostic software
Examples of Registered Apprenticeship programs include:
- Bus Maintenance Technician
- Machinist, Marine Engine
- Mechanic, Industrial Truck
- Oil-Field Equipment Mechanic
- Tractor Mechanic
New job opportunities are likely in the future.