Maintenance Workers, Machinery
Machine Repairer, Maintainer, Maintenance Technician, Maintenance Worker
What they do:Lubricate machinery, change parts, or perform other routine machinery maintenance.
On the job, you would:
- Start machines and observe mechanical operation to determine efficiency and to detect problems.
- Read work orders and specifications to determine machines and equipment requiring repair or maintenance.
- Inspect or test damaged machine parts, and mark defective areas or advise supervisors of repair needs.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- planning and doing the basic maintenance on equipment
- repairing machines or systems using the right tools
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Management information systems MIS
- SAP software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Excel
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics
- Tool Grinders, Filers, & Sharpeners
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about maintenance workers, machinery.