Industrial Machinery Mechanics
Industrial Machinery Mechanic, Maintenance Technician, Mechanic, Overhauler
What they do:Repair, install, adjust, or maintain industrial production and processing machinery or refinery and pipeline distribution systems. May also install, dismantle, or move machinery and heavy equipment according to plans.
On the job, you would:
- Repair or maintain the operating condition of industrial production or processing machinery or equipment.
- Repair or replace broken or malfunctioning components of machinery or equipment.
- Clean, lubricate, or adjust parts, equipment, or machinery.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- figuring out what is causing equipment, machines, wiring, or computer programs to not work
- planning and doing the basic maintenance on equipment
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
Hearing and Speech
- tell the difference between sounds
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Industrial control software
- KEYENCE PLC Ladder Logic
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
high school diploma/GED
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, & Related Repairers
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about industrial machinery mechanics.