Milling & Planing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Machine Operator, Mill Operator, Miller, Milling Operator
What they do:Set up, operate, or tend milling or planing machines to mill, plane, shape, groove, or profile metal or plastic work pieces.
On the job, you would:
- Position and secure workpieces on machines, using holding devices, measuring instruments, hand tools, and hoists.
- Remove workpieces from machines, and check to ensure that they conform to specifications, using measuring instruments such as microscopes, gauges, calipers, and micrometers.
- Verify alignment of workpieces on machines, using measuring instruments such as rules, gauges, or calipers.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Siemens Solid Edge
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Object or component oriented development software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Lathe & Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Tool Grinders, Filers, & Sharpeners
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about milling and planing machine setters, operators, and tenders, metal and plastic.