Tool Grinders, Filers, & Sharpeners
Grinder, Grinder Operator, Machine Operator, Tool Grinder
What they do:
Perform precision smoothing, sharpening, polishing, or grinding of metal objects.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor machine operations to determine whether adjustments are necessary, stopping machines when problems occur.
- Inspect, feel, and measure workpieces to ensure that surfaces and dimensions meet specifications.
- Study blueprints or layouts of metal workpieces to determine grinding procedures, and to plan machine setups and operational sequences.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- change when and how fast you move based on how something else is moving
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
Computer aided design CAD and computer aided manufacturing CAM system
Data base user interface and query software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal & Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, & Wall
- Milling & Planing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
You might like a career in one of these industries: