Journeyman Machinist, Machine Operator, Machinist, Tool Room Machinist
What they do:
Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. Includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
On the job, you would:
- Calculate dimensions or tolerances, using instruments such as micrometers or vernier calipers.
- Machine parts to specifications, using machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders.
- Set up, adjust, or operate basic or specialized machine tools used to perform precision machining operations.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- CNC Mastercam
- Vero Software SURFCAM
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
certificate after high school or
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
- Cooling & Freezing Equipment Operators & Tenders
- Mixing & Blending Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Rough Carpenters
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, & Still Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: