Tailors, Dressmakers, & Custom Sewers
Also called: Alterations Sewer, Dressmaker, Seamstress, Tailor
What they do:Design, make, alter, repair, or fit garments.
On the job, you would:
- Fit and study garments on customers to determine required alterations.
- Sew garments, using needles and thread or sewing machines.
- Measure parts such as sleeves or pant legs, and mark or pin-fold alteration lines.
- customer service
Engineering and Technology
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- put together small parts with your fingers
- keep your arm or hand steady
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
- Bookkeeping software
Point of sale POS software
- ArbelSoft TailorMax