Gas Plant Operators
Also called: Gas Controller, Gas Dispatcher, Gas Plant Operator, Plant Operator
What they do:Distribute or process gas for utility companies and others by controlling compressors to maintain specified pressures on main pipelines.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor transportation and storage of flammable and other potentially dangerous products to ensure that safety guidelines are followed.
- Monitor equipment functioning, observe temperature, level, and flow gauges, and perform regular unit checks to ensure that all equipment is operating as it should.
- Control operation of compressors, scrubbers, evaporators, and refrigeration equipment to liquefy, compress, or regasify natural gas.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- customer service
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- see hidden patterns
- communicate by writing
- read and understand what is written
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Operating log software
- Quorum PGAS
- Biomass Plant Technicians
- Chemical Plant & System Operators
- Gas Compressor & Gas Pumping Station Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, & Gaugers
- Power Plant Operators
You might like a career in one of these industries: