Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, & Gaugers
Also called: Board Operator, Gauger, Pumper, Refinery Operator
What they do:Operate or control petroleum refining or processing units. May specialize in controlling manifold and pumping systems, gauging or testing oil in storage tanks, or regulating the flow of oil into pipelines.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor process indicators, instruments, gauges, and meters to detect and report any possible problems.
- Start pumps and open valves or use automated equipment to regulate the flow of oil in pipelines and into and out of tanks.
- Control or operate manifold and pumping systems to circulate liquids through a petroleum refinery.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- see hidden patterns
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Email software
Industrial control software
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
Examples of Registered Apprenticeship programs include:
- Refinery Operator