Crushing, Grinding, & Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
Also called: Crusher Operator, Grinder Operator, Machine Operator, Mill Operator
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Crushing, grinding, and polishing machine workers operate the equipment used to process materials such as coal, glass, grain, and rubber. These machine operators review work orders and load specified amounts of materials or mixtures into machines. Workers sometimes break materials down to size using picks or other hand tools, to ensure equipment operates safely and the process moves along as intended. Once running, workers tend to equipment, sometimes dislodging jammed materials or adjusting settings to improve machine operation. Tenders must also test the output of equipment to ensure that products are being crushed, ground, and polished to the right specifications. Workers in this field may be exposed to noisy work environments, hot and cold work conditions, and dangerous machinery, requiring that they wear protective clothing and safety equipment. A high school diploma or equivalent is a typical requirement, though not all positions require one.
What they do:Set up, operate, or tend machines to crush, grind, or polish materials, such as coal, glass, grain, stone, food, or rubber.
On the job, you would:
- Observe operation of equipment to ensure continuity of flow, safety, and efficient operation, and to detect malfunctions.
- Examine materials, ingredients, or products, visually or with hands, to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Move controls to start, stop, or adjust machinery and equipment that crushes, grinds, polishes, or blends materials.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Engineering and Technology
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- change when and how fast you move based on how something else is moving
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Email software
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- SAP software