Cutters & Trimmers, Hand
Also called: Cloth Cutter, Leather Cutter, Offline Cutter, Trimmer
What they do:Use hand tools or hand-held power tools to cut and trim a variety of manufactured items, such as carpet, fabric, stone, glass, or rubber.
On the job, you would:
- Mark or discard items with defects such as spots, stains, scars, snags, chips, scratches, or unacceptable shapes or finishes.
- Trim excess material or cut threads off finished products, such as cutting loose ends of plastic off a manufactured toy for a smoother finish.
- Cut, shape, and trim materials, such as textiles, food, glass, stone, and metal, using knives, scissors, and other hand tools, portable power tools, or bench-mounted tools.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Word processing software
- Cutting & Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Grinding & Polishing Workers, Hand
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: