Ophthalmic Laboratory Technicians
Lab Technician (Laboratory Technician), Optical Lab Technician (Optical Laboratory Technician), Optical Technician, Surfacing Technician
What they do:Cut, grind, and polish eyeglasses, contact lenses, or other precision optical elements. Assemble and mount lenses into frames or process other optical elements. Includes precision lens polishers or grinders, centerer-edgers, and lens mounters.
On the job, you would:
- Mount and secure lens blanks or optical lenses in holding tools or chucks of cutting, polishing, grinding, or coating machines.
- Inspect lens blanks to detect flaws, verify smoothness of surface, and ensure thickness of coating on lenses.
- Set up machines to polish, bevel, edge, or grind lenses, flats, blanks, or other precision optical elements.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- customer service
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
- read and understand what is written
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Electronic medical record EMR software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Camera & Photographic Equipment Repairers
- Grinding & Polishing Workers, Hand
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Milling & Planing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Tool Grinders, Filers, & Sharpeners
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about ophthalmic laboratory technicians.