Painting, Coating, & Decorating Workers
Also called: Decorator, Glazer, Painter, Pottery Decorator
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
From candy-apple hot rods to glossy paper, and weatherproof furniture painting and coating workers use machines to paint and coat a wide range of items to enhance their beauty and protect surfaces. These workers prepare a surface by sanding or cleaning it, then cover portions of the product to direct the paint, varnish, rustproofing, or other coating. Painting and coating workers use different techniques dipping items in vats of paint, spraying products with coatings, or using automated painting systems. Some create mirrors by spraying metallic solutions onto glass. Proper coating and an even finish are always the goal, so workers carefully monitor their progress, making adjustments when needed. At the end of any project, cleaning equipment and work areas is essential. Transportation equipment painters specialize; most work in car repair and paint shops. They mix paints to match colors, and may paint intricate, detailed custom jobs. Some paint huge ships and construction equipment, and touch up damaged paint surfaces. Most painting and coating workers are employed full time, and may work overtime when business is brisk. They often stand for long periods and even working in ventilated areas may wear masks or respirators that cover their nose and mouth. Skills are generally learned on the job after earning a high school education.
What they do:Paint, coat, or decorate articles such as furniture, glass, plateware, pottery, jewelry, toys, books, or leather.
On the job, you would:
- Apply coatings, such as paint, ink, or lacquer, to protect or decorate workpiece surfaces, using spray guns, pens, or brushes.
- Examine finished surfaces of workpieces to verify conformance to specifications and retouch any defective areas.
- Clean and maintain tools and equipment, using solvents, brushes, and rags.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Graphics or photo imaging software
Office suite software
- Corel WordPerfect Office Suite
Data base user interface and query software