Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
Also called: Cup Room Technician, Folder Machine Operator, Paper Machine Operator, Winder Operator
What they do:Set up, operate, or tend paper goods machines that perform a variety of functions, such as converting, sawing, corrugating, banding, wrapping, boxing, stitching, forming, or sealing paper or paperboard sheets into products.
On the job, you would:
- Examine completed work to detect defects and verify conformance to work orders, and adjust machinery as necessary to correct production problems.
- Observe operation of various machines to detect and correct machine malfunctions such as improper forming, glue flow, or pasteboard tension.
- Start machines and move controls to regulate tension on pressure rolls, to synchronize speed of machine components, and to adjust temperatures of glue or paraffin.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Graphics or photo imaging software
Desktop publishing software
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Food Batchmakers
- Mixing & Blending Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Plating & Coating Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, & Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: