Heavy & Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
Also called: Driver, Over the Road Driver (OTR Driver), Road Driver, Truck Driver
What they do:Drive a tractor-trailer combination or a truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). May be required to unload truck. Requires commercial drivers' license.
On the job, you would:
- Check vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Follow appropriate safety procedures for transporting dangerous goods.
- Inspect loads to ensure that cargo is secure.
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- quickly decide if you should move your hand, foot, or other body part
- know where things are around you
- imagine how something will look after it is moved around or changed
- see details that are far away
- see details up close
Reaction Time and Speed
- quickly move your hand, finger, or foot based on a sound, light, picture or other command
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Fog Line Software Truckn Pro
Route navigation software
- ALK Technologies PC*Miler
- MarcoSoft Quo Vadis
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
- Crane & Tower Operators
- Excavating & Loading Machine & Dragline Operators
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Industrial Truck & Tractor Operators
- Logging Equipment Operators
You might like a career in one of these industries: