Railroad Conductors & Yardmasters
Conductor, Freight Conductor, Railroad Conductor, Yardmaster
What they do:Coordinate activities of switch-engine crew within railroad yard, industrial plant, or similar location. Conductors coordinate activities of train crew on passenger or freight trains. Yardmasters review train schedules and switching orders and coordinate activities of workers engaged in railroad traffic operations, such as the makeup or breakup of trains and yard switching.
On the job, you would:
- Signal engineers to begin train runs, stop trains, or change speed, using telecommunications equipment or hand signals.
- Confer with engineers regarding train routes, timetables, and cargoes, and to discuss alternative routes when there are rail defects or obstructions.
- Receive information regarding train or rail problems from dispatchers or from electronic monitoring devices.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
Hearing and Speech
- recognize spoken words
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Industrial control software
- RailComm DocYard
- SAIC government services and IT support software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Locomotive Engineers
- Rail Yard Engineers, Dinkey Operators, & Hostlers
- Railroad Brake, Signal, & Switch Operators & Locomotive Firers
- Subway & Streetcar Operators
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about railroad conductors and yardmasters.