Also called: Day Light Relief Operator, Outside Operator, Pipeline Operator, Pumper
What they do:Tend, control, or operate power-driven, stationary, or portable pumps and manifold systems to transfer gases, oil, other liquids, slurries, or powdered materials to and from various vessels and processes.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor gauges and flowmeters and inspect equipment to ensure that tank levels, temperatures, chemical amounts, and pressures are at specified levels, reporting abnormalities as necessary.
- Record operating data such as products and quantities pumped, stocks used, gauging results, and operating times.
- Communicate with other workers, using signals, radios, or telephones, to start and stop flows of materials or substances.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Facilities management software
- Computerized maintenance management system CMMS
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office
- Chemical Equipment Operators & Tenders
- Cooling & Freezing Equipment Operators & Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, & Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
You might like a career in one of these industries: