Certification: School Bus Endorsement

1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE Washington, DC 20590

No one may operate a type A, B, C or D school bus when transporting school children to or from school or a school-related trip or activity unless s/he has a valid commercial driver's license with a passenger and school bus endorsement. A person who has a valid driver's license but not a school bus or passenger endorsement may drive a type III school bus.

School Bus: A motor vehicle used to transport pupils (grades K-12) to or from a school or to or from school-related activities, by the school or a school district or by someone under an agreement with the school or a school district.

School Bus Driver: A person with a school bus endorsement on a valid Minnesota driver's license or a person with a valid Minnesota driver's license who drives a vehicle used as a school bus that has a passenger seating capacity of ten or fewer, including the driver.

More than two years of education or training after high school required?
More than two years of work experience required?
Oral or Written Exam Required?
Renewal Required?
Every 2 Year(s)
Renew through Re-Examination?



The certification has an education level of an Associates of Arts or Associates of Sciences degree or higher and has a work experience requirement of more than 2 years, or requires obtaining a ‘core’ level certification from the same organization.

  • This certification is related to military occupational specialties.