General & Operations Managers
General Manager (GM), Operations Director, Operations Manager, Store Manager
Select a military branch to see samples.
Advanced Fighter Aircraft Integrated Avionics; Airborne Cryptologic Language Analyst Craftsman, Korean; Aircraft Loadmaster Craftsman, C-146; Bomber/Special Electronic Warfare and Radar Surveillance Integrated Avionics Apprentice, B-2; Cryptologic Language Analyst Apprentice, Persian; Fighter Aircraft Integrated Avionics Craftsman; Mobility Air Forces Integrated Instrument and Flight Control Systems Apprentice, C-130/WC-130 (except SOF/PR and EC-130); Refuel/Bomber Aircraft Maintenance Apprentice, B-1; Regional Band Helper, Vocalist; Space Systems Operations Superintendent
Air Defense (AD) Battle Management System Operator; Airdrop Systems Technician; Aviation Combined Arms Operations; Civil Affairs Officer Special Operations; Engineer Equipment Maintenance Warrant Officer; Geospatial Engineering Technician; Infantry Senior Sergeant; Medical Service Corps Officer; Patient Administration; Special Forces Warrant Officer
Auxiliary Operations Coordination; Aviation Engineering Specialty; Avionics Electrical Technician; Boatswain Specialty; Electrician's Mate; Information System Technician; Intelligence Specialist; Marine Safety Specialist Deck; Marine Safety Specialist Response; Operations Afloat
Aircraft Intermediate Level Hydraulic/Pneumatic Mechanic; Assault Amphibian (AA) Officer; Colonel, Naval Aviator/Naval Flight Officer/Unmanned Aircraft System Officer; Field Artillery Cannoneer; Fire Support Marine; Intelligence Chief; Light-Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) Officer; Operations Chief; Sergeant Major-First Sergeant; Support Equipment Electrician/Refrigeration and Engine/Gas Turbine Technician
AOC AADC Chief of Operations Staff Officer; Acoustic Technician CWO; CWO - Aviation Maintenance Technician; Command Master Chief; Executive Officer, Military Sealift Command Office; LDO - Communications, Submarine; Major Project Manager (Selected); Plans and Policies Chief; Staff Air Tactical Officer; Staff Readiness Officer (General)
Air Force Operations Staff Officer; Officer Air Advisor (Conventional Force) Advanced, Team Leader; Officer Combat Aviation Advisor; Operations Commander, ABM; Operations Commander, C2ISREW; Operations Commander, RPA; Planning and Programming; Support Commander, ABM; Support Commander, Fighter; Support Commander, Special Operations
What they do:Plan, direct, or coordinate the operations of public or private sector organizations, overseeing multiple departments or locations. Duties and responsibilities include formulating policies, managing daily operations, and planning the use of materials and human resources, but are too diverse and general in nature to be classified in any one functional area of management or administration, such as personnel, purchasing, or administrative services. Usually manage through subordinate supervisors. Excludes First-Line Supervisors.
On the job, you would:
- Review financial statements, sales or activity reports, or other performance data to measure productivity or goal achievement or to identify areas needing cost reduction or program improvement.
- Direct and coordinate activities of businesses or departments concerned with the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products.
- Direct administrative activities directly related to making products or providing services.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- understanding people's reactions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- SAP software
Data base user interface and query software
- Blackboard software
- Yardi software
Customer relationship management CRM software
- Salesforce software
- Sugar CRM
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Administrative Services Managers
- Chief Executives
- Facilities Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers
- Transportation, Storage, & Distribution Managers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about general and operations managers.