Biofuels/Biodiesel Technology & Product Development Managers
Also called: Analytical Research Program Manager, Project Development Director
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Everyone wants their transportation to be fast, safe, and cheap, but increasingly, people are also demanding that transportation be environmentally responsible. Biofuels and Biodiesel Technology and Product Development Managers use their scientific research skills to deliver all of the above. Biofuels are made from plants or waste produced by farming, manufacturing, homes, and businesses. In this product development field, managers might research how products made from corn or used cooking oil can fuel a car, or how to reduce the pollutants from using dried manure or wood pellets to heat homes. These managers oversee the work of a larger team of research and development scientists and technicians. Together, they design and conduct studies on fluid dynamics, and how to extract components from materials. To gain value from waste materials, they may develop fuel from garbage and recycled materials, minimizing what gets dumped in the landfill. Most managers in this field have a bachelor’s degree or higher in environmental science or biotechnology. Several years of previous experience in the field is important before securing this position. Thanks to the creative problem-solving power of these professionals, the biofuels of the future are getting cheaper, greener, and more efficient.
What they do:Define, plan, or execute biofuels/biodiesel research programs that evaluate alternative feedstock and process technologies with near-term commercial potential.
On the job, you would:
- Design or conduct applied biodiesel or biofuels research projects on topics, such as transport, thermodynamics, mixing, filtration, distillation, fermentation, extraction, and separation.
- Analyze data from biofuels studies, such as fluid dynamics, water treatments, or solvent extraction and recovery processes.
- Prepare, or oversee the preparation of, experimental plans for biofuels research or development.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- computers and electronics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- reading work related information
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Fleet Asset Management and Optimization Solutions FAMOS PEPSE
- GE Energy GateCycle
Electronic mail software
- Email software