Software Developers, Systems Software
Software Architect, Software Developer, Software Engineer, Systems Engineer
see titles from the Air Force or Navy.
Computer Systems Programming; Computer Systems Programming Apprentice; Computer Systems Programming Craftsman; Computer Systems Programming Helper; Computer Systems Programming Journeyman; Missile And Space Systems Maintenance; Missile And Space Systems Maintenance Apprentice; Missile And Space Systems Maintenance Craftsman; Missile And Space Systems Maintenance Helper; Missile And Space Systems Maintenance Journeyman
Combat Systems - Software Design; Digital Computer System Programmer; Fire Controlman; Fire Controlman (AEGIS); Sonar Technician (Surface)
What they do:
Research, design, develop, and test operating systems-level software, compilers, and network distribution software for medical, industrial, military, communications, aerospace, business, scientific, and general computing applications. Set operational specifications and formulate and analyze software requirements. May design embedded systems software. Apply principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis.
On the job, you would:
- Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware, or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
- Develop or direct software system testing or validation procedures.
- Direct software programming and development of documentation.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Development environment software
- Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition VBScript
- National Instruments LabVIEW
Object or component oriented development software
Program testing software
- Defect tracking software
- Hewlett Packard LoadRunner