Geodesist, Geodetic Advisor, Licensed Land Surveyor, Survey Director
see titles from the Air Force, Army, or Marine Corps.
Engineering; Engineering Apprentice; Engineering Craftsman; Engineering Helper; Engineering Journeyman; Engineering Superintendent
Construction Engineering Technician; Technical Engineer
Geographic Intelligence Specialist
What they do:
Measure large areas of the Earth's surface using satellite observations, global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), light detection and ranging (LIDAR), or related sources.
On the job, you would:
- Calculate the exact horizontal and vertical position of points on the Earth's surface.
- Maintain databases of geodetic and related information, including coordinate, descriptive, or quality assurance data.
- Verify the mathematical correctness of newly collected survey data.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- using math to solve problems
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Map creation software
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- ESRI ArcView
Analytical or scientific software
- Carlson Simplicity "Sight" Survey
- National Geodetic Survey NGS VERTCON
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Bentley Microstation