Fire-Prevention & Protection Engineers
Engineer, Fire Protection Engineer, Loss Control Manager, Senior Engineer
see titles from the Air Force or Marine Corps.
Fire Protection; Fire Protection Apprentice; Fire Protection Craftsman; Fire Protection Helper; Fire Protection Journeyman; Fire Protection Superintendent
Expeditionary Airfield Systems Technician
What they do:
Research causes of fires, determine fire protection methods, and design or recommend materials or equipment such as structural components or fire-detection equipment to assist organizations in safeguarding life and property against fire, explosion, and related hazards.
On the job, you would:
- Advise architects, builders, and other construction personnel on fire prevention equipment and techniques, and on fire code and standard interpretation and compliance.
- Inspect buildings or building designs to determine fire protection system requirements and potential problems in areas such as water supplies, exit locations, and construction materials.
- Design fire detection equipment, alarm systems, and fire extinguishing devices and systems.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- see hidden patterns
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- A Large Outdoor Fire plume Trajectory model Flat Terrain ALOFT-FT
- Berkeley Algorithm for Breaking Window Glass in a Compartment Fire BREAK1
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Autodesk Revit