Historian, Historic Sites Registrar, Research Associate, Researcher
Select a military branch to see samples.
Historian; Historian Apprentice; Historian Craftsman; Historian Helper; Historian Journeyman; Historian Manager; Historian SuperintendentNo similar titles were found. No similar titles were found.
Historian; Historian Apprentice; Historian Craftsman; Historian Helper; Historian Journeyman; Historian Manager; Historian Superintendent
What they do:Research, analyze, record, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, interviews, films, electronic media, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
On the job, you would:
- Conserve and preserve manuscripts, records, and other artifacts.
- Gather historical data from sources such as archives, court records, diaries, news files, and photographs, as well as from books, pamphlets, and periodicals.
- Conduct historical research as a basis for the identification, conservation, and reconstruction of historic places and materials.
Arts and Humanities
- history and archeology
- English language
- customer service
- administrative services
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Microsoft Access
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Information retrieval or search software
- Archival databases
- Smithsonian Institution digital archives
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about historians.