Forest & Conservation Technicians
Forest Technician, Forestry Technician, Resource Manager, Wildlife Technician
see titles from the Air Force or Army.
Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE); Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Apprentice; Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Craftsman; Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Helper; Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Journeyman; Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Superintendent
Cavalry Scout; Combat Engineer; Combat Medic Specialist; Intelligence Analyst; Military Police; Unit Supply Specialist; Wheeled Vehicle Repairer
What they do:
Provide technical assistance regarding the conservation of soil, water, forests, or related natural resources. May compile data pertaining to size, content, condition, and other characteristics of forest tracts, under the direction of foresters; or train and lead forest workers in forest propagation, fire prevention and suppression. May assist conservation scientists in managing, improving, and protecting rangelands and wildlife habitats.
On the job, you would:
- Keep records of the amount and condition of logs taken to mills.
- Manage forest protection activities, including fire control, fire crew training, and coordination of fire detection and public education programs.
- Train and lead forest and conservation workers in seasonal activities, such as planting tree seedlings, putting out forest fires, and maintaining recreational facilities.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- history and archeology
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Forest EcoSurvey
- Microsoft Access
Map creation software
- Allegro Landmark
- ESRI ArcGIS software
Analytical or scientific software
- Assisi Software Forest
- Forest Vegetation Simulator FVS