Forest & Conservation Technicians
Conservationist, Forest Technician, Forestry Technician, Resource Manager
see titles from the Air Force or Army.
Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE); Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Apprentice; Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Craftsman; Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Helper; Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Journeyman; Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) Superintendent
Cavalry Scout; Combat Engineer; Combat Medic Specialist; Intelligence Analyst; Military Police; Unit Supply Specialist; Wheeled Vehicle Repairer
What they do:
Provide technical assistance regarding the conservation of soil, water, forests, or related natural resources. May compile data pertaining to size, content, condition, and other characteristics of forest tracts, under the direction of foresters; or train and lead forest workers in forest propagation, fire prevention and suppression. May assist conservation scientists in managing, improving, and protecting rangelands and wildlife habitats.
On the job, you would:
- Thin and space trees and control weeds and undergrowth, using manual tools and chemicals, or supervise workers performing these tasks.
- Train and lead forest and conservation workers in seasonal activities, such as planting tree seedlings, putting out forest fires, and maintaining recreational facilities.
- Provide information about, and enforce, regulations, such as those concerning environmental protection, resource utilization, fire safety, and accident prevention.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
Arts and Humanities
- customer service
Math and Science
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Forest EcoSurvey
- Microsoft Access
Map creation software
- Allegro Landmark
- ESRI ArcGIS software
Analytical or scientific software
- Assisi Software Forest
- Forest Vegetation Simulator FVS