Area Forester, Forest Practices Field Coordinator, Forester, Silviculturist
see titles from the Air Force.
Fire Protection; Fire Protection Apprentice; Fire Protection Craftsman; Fire Protection Helper; Fire Protection Journeyman; Fire Protection Manager; Fire Protection Superintendent
What they do:
Manage public and private forested lands for economic, recreational, and conservation purposes. May inventory the type, amount, and location of standing timber, appraise the timber's worth, negotiate the purchase, and draw up contracts for procurement. May determine how to conserve wildlife habitats, creek beds, water quality, and soil stability, and how best to comply with environmental regulations. May devise plans for planting and growing new trees, monitor trees for healthy growth, and determine optimal harvesting schedules.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor contract compliance and results of forestry activities to assure adherence to government regulations.
- Plan and supervise forestry projects, such as determining the type, number and placement of trees to be planted, managing tree nurseries, thinning forest and monitoring growth of new seedlings.
- Establish short- and long-term plans for management of forest lands and forest resources.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Safety and Government
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Map creation software
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Geographic information system GIS software
Data base user interface and query software
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Access