Orthotists & Prosthetists
Certified Orthotist (CO), Certified Prosthetist (CP), Certified Prosthetist and Orthotist (CPO), Orthotist
Select a military branch to see samples.
Physical Medicine; Physical Medicine Apprentice; Physical Medicine Apprentice, Orthotic; Physical Medicine Craftsman; Physical Medicine Craftsman, Orthotic; Physical Medicine Helper; Physical Medicine Helper, Orthotic; Physical Medicine Journeyman; Physical Medicine Journeyman, Orthotic; Physical Medicine Manager
Medical Service Corps Officer; Orthopedic Specialist; PodiatryNo similar titles were found. No similar titles were found.
Occupational Therapy Assistant; Orthopedic Cast Room Technician; Orthopedic Technician
Physical Medicine; Physical Medicine Apprentice, Orthotic; Physical Medicine Craftsman, Orthotic; Physical Medicine Helper, Orthotic; Physical Medicine Journeyman, Orthotic
What they do:Design, measure, fit, and adapt orthopedic braces, appliances or prostheses, such as limbs or facial parts for patients with disabling conditions.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain patients' records.
- Fit, test, and evaluate devices on patients, and make adjustments for proper fit, function, and comfort.
- Examine, interview, and measure patients to determine their appliance needs and to identify factors that could affect appliance fit.
- customer service
Engineering and Technology
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Ohio Willow Wood OMEGA Tracer System
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- OPIE Practice Management Suite
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
certificate after college
certificate after college
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Medical Appliance Technicians
- Orthopedic Surgeons
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about orthotists and prosthetists.