Forging Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Blacksmith, Forge Operator, Hammer Operator, Machine Operator
see titles from the Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps.
Aircraft Metals Technology; Aircraft Metals Technology Apprentice; Aircraft Metals Technology Craftsman; Aircraft Metals Technology Helper; Aircraft Metals Technology Journeyman
Aircraft Metals Technology
Aircraft Metals Technology Apprentice; Aircraft Metals Technology Craftsman; Aircraft Metals Technology Helper; Aircraft Metals Technology Journeyman
What they do:
Set up, operate, or tend forging machines to taper, shape, or form metal or plastic parts.
On the job, you would:
- Read work orders or blueprints to determine specified tolerances and sequences of operations for machine setup.
- Position and move metal wires or workpieces through a series of dies that compress and shape stock to form die impressions.
- Measure and inspect machined parts to ensure conformance to product specifications.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Engineering and Technology
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Data base user interface and query software
Inventory management software
- Inventory tracking software
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Lathe & Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Molding, Coremaking, & Casting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Packaging & Filling Machine Operators & Tenders
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
You might like a career in one of these industries: