Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Calender Operator, Mill Operator, Rolling Mill Operator, Roughing Mill Operator
What they do:
Set up, operate, or tend machines to roll steel or plastic forming bends, beads, knurls, rolls, or plate or to flatten, temper, or reduce gauge of material.
On the job, you would:
- Adjust and correct machine set-ups to reduce thicknesses, reshape products, and eliminate product defects.
- Monitor machine cycles and mill operation to detect jamming and to ensure that products conform to specifications.
- Examine, inspect, and measure raw materials and finished products to verify conformance to specifications.
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- change when and how fast you move based on how something else is moving
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
Reaction Time and Speed
- quickly move your hand, finger, or foot based on a sound, light, picture or other command
- quickly move your arms and legs
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Internet browser software
Data base user interface and query software
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- Coating, Painting, & Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal & Plastic
- Cutting & Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, & Still Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: