Metal-Refining Furnace Operators & Tenders
Central Melt Specialist, Melt Room Operator, Melt Supervisor, Vessel Operator
What they do:
Operate or tend furnaces, such as gas, oil, coal, electric-arc or electric induction, open-hearth, or oxygen furnaces, to melt and refine metal before casting or to produce specified types of steel.
On the job, you would:
- Draw smelted metal samples from furnaces or kettles for analysis, and calculate types and amounts of materials needed to ensure that materials meet specifications.
- Drain, transfer, or remove molten metal from furnaces, and place it into molds, using hoists, pumps, or ladles.
- Record production data, and maintain production logs.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- change when and how fast you move based on how something else is moving
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Office suite software
Data base user interface and query software
- Process safety management software
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- Coating, Painting, & Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Mixing & Blending Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Molding & Casting Workers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
You might like a career in one of these industries: