Foundry Mold & Coremakers
Core Machine Operator, Core Maker, Mold Maker, Molder
What they do:
Make or form wax or sand cores or molds used in the production of metal castings in foundries.
On the job, you would:
- Sift and pack sand into mold sections, core boxes, and pattern contours, using hand or pneumatic ramming tools.
- Clean and smooth molds, cores, and core boxes, and repair surface imperfections.
- Form and assemble slab cores around patterns and position wire in mold sections to reinforce molds, using hand tools and glue.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
Data base user interface and query software
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Cutters & Trimmers, Hand
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Machine Feeders & Offbearers
- Plating & Coating Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, & Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: