Traffic Control Technician, Traffic Signal Technician (TST), Traffic Technician, Transportation Technician
Select a military branch to see samples. No similar titles were found. No similar titles were found. No similar titles were found.
Traffic Management and Collision Investigator
Safety InspectorNo similar titles were found.
What they do:Conduct field studies to determine traffic volume, speed, effectiveness of signals, adequacy of lighting, and other factors influencing traffic conditions, under direction of traffic engineer.
On the job, you would:
- Study traffic delays by noting times of delays, the numbers of vehicles affected, and vehicle speed through the delay area.
- Interact with the public to answer traffic-related questions, respond to complaints or requests, or discuss traffic control ordinances, plans, policies, or procedures.
- Prepare graphs, charts, diagrams, or other aids to illustrate observations or conclusions.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Bentley MicroStation
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Air Traffic Controllers
- Civil Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- Construction & Building Inspectors
- Railroad Conductors & Yardmasters
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment & Systems Inspectors
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about traffic technicians.