Civil Engineering Technologists & Technicians
Civil Engineering Technician, Engineer Technician, Engineering Assistant, Engineering Technician
Select a military branch to see samples.
Engineering; Engineering Apprentice; Engineering Craftsman; Engineering Helper; Engineering Journeyman; Engineering Superintendent; Missile Facility Manager
Bridge Crewmember; Combat Engineer; Combat Engineering Senior Sergeant; Construction Engineering Supervisor; Construction Engineering Technician; Engineer; Engineer Senior Sergeant; General Engineering Supervisor; Special Forces Engineer Sergeant; Technical Engineer
Machinery Technician; Marine Safety Specialist Engineer; Material Maintenance Specialty; Naval Engineering Specialty
Combat Engineer; Combat Engineer Officer; Engineer Assistant
Advanced Engineering Aide; Commanding Officer, Naval Construction Forces; Construction Inspector; Constructionman; Engineering Aide; Executive Officer, Naval Construction Forces; Facilities Engineering Officer; Officer in Charge, Naval Construction Battalion Unit; Operations Officer, Naval Construction Forces; Public Works Production Officer
Engineering; Engineering Apprentice; Engineering Craftsman; Engineering Helper; Engineering Journeyman; Engineering Superintendent
What they do:Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
On the job, you would:
- Calculate dimensions, square footage, profile and component specifications, and material quantities, using calculator or computer.
- Read and review project blueprints and structural specifications to determine dimensions of structure or system and material requirements.
- Draft detailed dimensional drawings and design layouts for projects to ensure conformance to specifications.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- notice when problems happen
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Autodesk Revit
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Geographic information system
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Geographic information system GIS software
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Architectural & Civil Drafters
- Construction & Building Inspectors
- Construction Managers
- Electrical & Electronics Drafters
- Mechanical Engineering Technologists & Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about civil engineering technologists and technicians.