Mechanical Engineering Technologists & Technicians
Engineering Technician (Engineering Tech), Mechanical Designer, Mechanical Technician (Mechanical Tech), Research and Development Technician (R and D Tech)
Select a military branch to see samples.
Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory; Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory Apprentice; Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory Craftsman; Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory Helper; Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory Journeyman; Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory Superintendent
Test and Evaluation; Unit Supply SpecialistNo similar titles were found. No similar titles were found.
Aeronautical Engineering Officer, Aircraft Mechanical, Electronic, Electrical and Safety Equipment; Aircraft Armament Development Officer; Engineering Liaison Officer; Ground Support Equipment and Ship Facilities Arrangement Officer; Launching, Recovery and Landing Aids Engineering Officer; Naval Engineering Inspection Officer; Naval Engineering Officer, Ship Design; Naval Engineering Trials and Survey Officer; Ship Type Engineering OfficerNo similar titles were found.
What they do:Apply theory and principles of mechanical engineering to modify, develop, test, or adjust machinery and equipment under direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
On the job, you would:
- Assemble or disassemble complex mechanical systems.
- Interpret engineering sketches, specifications, or drawings.
- Calculate required capacities for equipment of proposed system to obtain specified performance and submit data to engineering personnel for approval.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk Revit
- Bentley MicroStation
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Analytical or scientific software
- Finite element method FEM software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
certificate after high school
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Aerospace Engineering & Operations Technologists & Technicians
- Calibration Technologists & Technicians
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- Industrial Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- Robotics Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about mechanical engineering technologists and technicians.