Outside Operator, Pipeline Operator, Pumper, Tank Farm Operator
Select a military branch to see samples.
Fuels; Fuels Craftsman; Fuels Manager; In-Flight Refueling Specialist Apprentice; In-Flight Refueling Specialist Apprentice, KC-46; In-Flight Refueling Specialist Craftsman, KC-135; In-Flight Refueling Specialist Journeyman; In-Flight Refueling Specialist Journeyman, KC-46; Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Apprentice; Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Helper
Petroleum Supply Specialist; Petroleum Systems Technician; Quartermaster and Chemical Equipment Repairer; Unit Supply Specialist; Water Treatment Specialist; Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Damage Controlman; Machinery Technician; Marine Safety Specialist Engineer; Naval Engineering Specialty
Bulk Fuel Specialist; Cryogenics Equipment Operator; Petroleum Quality Assurance and Additization Specialist; Water Support Technician
Aircraft Fueling Officer; Aviation Boatswain's Mate, Fuels; Aviation Fuels Below Deck Operations Technician; Aviation Fuels Shore Base Operations Technician; Aviation Support Equipment Technician; Conversion NEC ABF Aviation Boatswain's Mate (Fuels); Electromagnetic Aircraft Launching System (EMALS) Operator/Maintainer; Engineering Bulk Fuel System (Shore) Technician; Machinist's Mate; Machinists Mate (Weapons)
Fuels; Fuels Apprentice; Fuels Craftsman; Fuels Helper; Fuels Journeyman
What they do:Tend, control, or operate power-driven, stationary, or portable pumps and manifold systems to transfer gases, oil, other liquids, slurries, or powdered materials to and from various vessels and processes.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor gauges and flowmeters and inspect equipment to ensure that tank levels, temperatures, chemical amounts, and pressures are at specified levels, reporting abnormalities as necessary.
- Record operating data such as products and quantities pumped, stocks used, gauging results, and operating times.
- Plan movement of products through lines to processing, storage, and shipping units, using knowledge of interconnections and capacities of pipelines, valve manifolds, pumps, and tankage.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- see hidden patterns
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
Electronic mail software
- Microsoft Outlook
Facilities management software
- Computerized maintenance management system CMMS
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Gas Compressor & Gas Pumping Station Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, & Gaugers
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, & Still Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Stationary Engineers & Boiler Operators
- Wellhead Pumpers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about pump operators.