Also called: Income Tax Preparer, Tax Advisor, Tax Consultant, Tax Preparer
What they do:Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
On the job, you would:
- Interview clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Use all appropriate adjustments, deductions, and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum.
- Prepare or assist in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
- customer service
- accounting and economics
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Tax preparation software
- ATX Total Tax Office
- CCH ProSystem fx TAX
Financial analysis software
- Sales Tax Tools Sales Tax Researcher
- Sync Essentials Trade Accountant